Tuesday 19 January 2010

Bad dreams

I'm slightly concerned by the level of violence in my dreams last night.

I have a book "10,000 Dreams Explained" by Pamela J. Ball, I bought it a couple of years ago but never looked at it. I thought I may use this opportunity to look up some potential meanings. Each symbol/sight/action etc in this book has different interpretations listed:-
  • Spiritual
  • Psychological, Emotional perspective
  • Everyday material aspects
  • Gender-specific meanings

Dream 1 - Family feud?
All I remember about this one is that I'm at some sort of family gathering, and I'm standing there listening to someone make a speech when all of the sudden my uncle, who is standing beside me, suddenly punches me in the face. I fall to the ground and then he continues to punch me. I'm about 5'5", my uncle is 6'3" and built like a brick shit house. I don't know why he is punching me and more bizarrely, I don't know how I'm still conscious after the repeated blows to my head. Family members stand there watching, very confused but do nothing to help stop it.

Possible meanings:
"Members of extended family usually appear in dreams either as themselves, highlighting our relationship with them, or typifying various aspects of our own personality that are recognizable"
Dumpkin Note:
I very rarely see my uncle due to distance and there is no animosity between us. And as far as I'm aware I'm not a very violent person. Confooooooooooooooosed.

Attack:
"Being attacked in in a dream indicates a fear of being under threat from external events or internal emotions" (Material)
"In a woman's dream, being attacked will often be to do with her feelings of vulnerability" (Gender-specific)

Dream 2 - Stabby stabby
This one was brief, just before my alarm clock went off this morning. All i can see is an extreme closeup of my eyes, and the tip of a 6-inch knife being pressed into the skin just below my right bottom eyelid. After a minute or so, whoever is holding the knife tilts is slightly upwards and stabs me in the eye.

Reading this back actually makes me feel a little paranoid.

Possible meanings:
Stab "To be stabbed in a dream indicates our ability to be hurt"
(Material)
Knife "A knife is a symbol of division. There may be something in life that needs to be cut out and got rid of" (Spiritual)
Eye "Loss of eyesight signifies loss of clarity" Apparently losing sight in the right eye signifies loss of logic.

Awwwwwww shit.

Ok, so this experience of dream interpretation hasn't exactly gone well. However, it has caught my interest. I may have to try this more often...

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the follow!!

    Those dreams actually sound terrifying :( I have pretty weird dreams, including one recently about inventing a car which runs on cheese. Don't ask...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks to you too! :-)

    I have to admit, I haven't slept particularly well since then lol.

    A car that runs on cheese? Maybe you hold the secret to the next big invention!?!

    ReplyDelete